15th of August is celebrated as the independence of the world’s largest democracy. It is a day of great significance for the entire world, as this event triggered off the independence of several countries in Asia and Africa.
The following are some important snippets about the Indian Independence Day:
- Initially Indian independence was planned for 14th August, but astrologists warned that the day would portend a bad future so as a compromise, it was to be midnight between 14th and 15th.
- India shares her independence on 15th August with South Korea, the Republic of Congo, Bahrain and Liechtenstein.
- The Indian Independence Day is known by various names among the 22 National Languages of India such as:
– Swatantrata Diwas in Hindi
– Swadhinata Diwas in Bengali
– Cutantiran Tinam in Tamil
– Yaum-e-Azadi in Urdu
– Swathantra Dinam in Malayalam
– Swatantrya Dinotsavam in Telugu
– Swtantryadina in Marathi